ELEMENTS – EARTH
The foundation of life, earth is the most basic of the classical and mystical elements. It is strength, wisdom and nurturing. As the foundation of all things in life, earth is also associated with fertility, stability and, peace. Earth bears life, thanks to the contributions from the other elements: water, fire and air.
The Importance of Earth and the Elements in Your Life
The elements have fascinated, compelled and enriched the lives of people for thousands of years. In the West, this concept was familiarised by the Greeks, but recognition of the importance of these forces permeates countless eras, philosophies, religions and spiritual pursuits.
Everything in the universe is a product of these elements. In current-day esoterisms such as chakra mind energy centres and astrology, the vibrational qualities of these elements play a pivotal role. Vibrations, or energy patterns, are important because they can shift your physical, emotional and spiritual being. Many people believe that the Law of Vibration is the true power of manifesting your goals, dreams and spirituality.
Align the vibrational qualities of your elemental being and chakra energy centers, then it is the path to health, success and enlightenment. It is the path to peace and transcendence.
Earth’s Role in Opening and Balancing Your Chakras
Just as earth is the foundation of the elements, the root chakra is the stable foundation of your chakra energy system. This is where kundalini lies, coiled and disengaged or awakened and flowing to the crown chakra. The root chakra is your source of stability and security.
Many esoterics find that they are better able to heal and balance their root chakra by considering its relationship to earth. In most cases, an earth element meditation is used to help shift your vibrational energy so that it is concert with an open and balanced root chakra.
Earth Meditation for Root Chakra Balancing
For earth meditations, you’ll want to go back to your roots, so to speak. An outdoor meditation is best for this, literally connecting you to the earth element and attuning to your root chakra. Feeling and honouring your connection to the earth is the perfect way to begin this meditation.
- Settle into a comfortable seated position on the ground. A lotus or cross-legged position is always nice, but you can lie down as well.
- If it’s comfortable, make the earth mudra with your fingertips, touching your ring fingertip to your thumb on each hand and rest your hands on your thighs or knees.
- Take a deep, relaxing breath, focusing on your root chakra area and feeling it sink into the ground, stable and secure.
- Keep breathing in a relaxed, deep manner.
- Feel how the backs of your legs, buttocks, ankles and feet touch the earth.
- Feel how the red earth energy rises up inside you at these connection points.
- Repeat earth-related affirmations
- After 15 to 20 minutes of this meditation, conclude your session by imagining green roots extending from your hips, growing down your legs and taking root in the earth beneath you.
- Give final thanks to the universe for the bounty and life-giving force of Mother Earth.
How Aromatherapy Helps
However you choose to attune your chakra with your earth element, essential oil aromatherapy can boost your experience.
The connection between essential oils and the earth element is deep. After all, essential oils are made of plants, flowers, fruits, herbs, leaves, seeds and other matter all directly derived from the earth. There’s also a less literal connection. Many people believe that, just as the earth has vibrational qualities, each essential oil also has a vibrational frequency. The frequency of certain essential oils can then be used to help shift your physical body and emotional connection with earth and your root chakra.
Placing earth-related essential oils in an aromatherapy burner or diffuser during your meditation or yoga practice can enhance your connection. Since you’ll likely be meditating or practicing yoga for your earth element alignment, you may prefer to put select essential oils on aromatherapy jewellery or a talisman so you can keep the perfume of the magickal oils close by.
Essential oils that are most effective for your earth meditation and yoga sessions include those that also carry an earthy aroma, including:
- Angelica root
We offer several essential oil blends and gift sets designed to attune your chakras and earth elements, so check out our aromatherapy oil blend products page.