Rose Geranium Essential Oil
Rose geranium is at the height of decadence: not only is it a beautiful flower, but it can be used in baking to create indulgent desserts. Cakes, cookies, frosting and many more treats can be made using geranium oil. This delectable scent nourishes your soul, cleansing your energy of negative forces and restoring your beatific and compassionate outlook.
Rose geranium hails from the pelargonium family, a hybrid that has a sweet rose scent. This rosy fragrance is much less expensive than pure rose absolute. As a result, fragrance houses and perfumers sometimes use rose geranium in place of or in addition to rose absolute.
The Pelargonium genus of plants counts hundreds of hybrids and subspecies, and rose geranium oil can actually come from several different versions. There are also several interestingly developed hybrids that have the scent of mint, chocolate, cinnamon, lemon and lemony rose. There’s even a eucalyptus-scented geranium hybrid.
The delicately scented rose geranium probably originated in South Africa. We know that the flowering plant was in Europe by the 17th century, eventually spreading to points all around the globe.
- Immune Health. Some medical research has found that rose geranium may spur natural killer cells, the lymphocytes that fight tumors and virus-infected cells. These findings suggest that rose geranium may affect some cancers, but more research is needed to explore and verify these hypotheses.
- Improved Circulation. Several studies have shown that rose geranium oil can increase your blood circulation. This helps a number of health ailments and conditions and also aids in easing the appearance of scars.
- Detoxify. The oil has shown in a few studies to stimulate and cleanse the lymphatic system. This helps your body to flush out damaging toxins.
- Hemorrhoids. Rose geranium oil has been used by many different cultures in traditional medicine to relieve hemorrhoids. The oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that help this condition as well as a variety of other ailments.
- Liver, Pancreas and Gallbladder. Some complementary medicine clinics use rose geranium to help control diabetes, reduce jaundice, relieve other liver problems, ease urinary stones and calm gallbladder issues.
- Wound Healing. Rose geranium is antiseptic, antifungal and antibacterial, so it’s a helpful tool for healing cuts and scrapes. The oil also has antioxidant properties. It is known to fight several bacteria and fungi, including Brevibacterium linens and Aspergillus niger.
- Deodorant. The delightful smell of rose geranium oil and its antibacterial properties can help eliminate and prevent body odor.
- Skincare. The oil’s astringent, diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties make it an excellent tool for maintaining a healthy looking and vibrant complexion. The astringent helps to tighten facial skin and to reduce the appearance of skin pores. Its diuretic nature helps you avoid puffy under-eye bags and reduces fluid retention. The anti-inflammatory component of the oil also reduces puffy, swollen skin and also erases red, irritated blemishes.
- Attraction. If you want to attract love, happiness, fertility and protection to your life, rose geranium is a good choice.
- Venus. Rose geranium is one of the Herbs of Love, associated with the Goddess Venus.
Rose geranium oil is generally considered safe, but be sure to always dilute it in a carrier oil before applying to skin. If your skin is sensitive, test the mixture of essential oil and carrier oil on a small patch of skin before using it more extensively. If you’re pregnant or nursing, consult with your healthcare provider before using the oil. Be aware that rose geranium is both a relaxant and a stimulant, so it’s not advisable to use before operating heavy machinery and equipment.
- Botanical Name: Pelargonium graveolens, Pelargonium Roseum x Asperum
- Common Method of Extraction: Steam distillation
- Plant Part Typically Used: Blossom and plant
- Color: Clear to a light yellow or yellow-green
- Consistency: Thin
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Strong
- Aromatic Description: Rose floral, sweet, fresh and slightly earthy and citrusy